Sussex Pet Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Greetings from the Crowman!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Zeezee

Zeezee

Greetings from the Crowman! Empty
PostSubject: Greetings from the Crowman!   Greetings from the Crowman! EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 4:02 am

Hi All,

Some of you may have already seen us about the streets - we're Zeezee the human and Rameses the Carrion Crow.

Rameses was found by me about 2yrs ago aoutside my youngest daughters' school in Hangleton at 3pm. Imagine the scene; parents collecting kids running about everywhere and this half feathered, malnourished crow was backed up against the fence in terror.

I scooped him up and put him into the car and returned to collect my child. When I got back to the car, Rams was happily bouncing about the car, pulling at wires under the dash and being generally playful.
In time, his white, scraggly feathers replaced themselves (with a lot of nutritional supplementation) yet the first few didn't hold very well so he was only a flier when the wind was strong.

He wound up on a few rooftops with the help of wind, where he'd stay for quite a few hours coming down only when he was hungry. The last time he did that trick, I was inside the house and my neighbour knocked on my door to tell me that Rams had been standing in the middle of the road allowing cars to drive AROUND him!

That being the final straw and, with consultation of other wildlife rescuers I decided to clip his wing and have him registered as wildlife disabled; for the basic reason that he sees cars as fun, and people as safe - not a good outlook for a crow!

We walk around town, with Rams on my shoulder, we drive around with Rams on my gear shift arm as his perch of choice for the time being (There was a period where he liked to sit on my accelerator foot!). We drive a large van, so there is always plenty of space for the both of us.

Anyways, that's my basic crow intro formulated from the most common questions I am asked. I am happy to join you on this forum and to lend my support to it's success!

I am happy to offer any advice, suggestions and stories to anyone who may be perplexed in what to do about finding a disabled wild bird in their garden - I have had extensive experience in bird rescues in Australia, of many different types of parrot and of the Australian Magpie, Indian Minah, sparrow and pidgeon. I am not a wildlife carer and thus please do not construe my offer of advice as an offer of avian accommodations!

I look forward to meeting you all around the threads!

Regards,

Zz
Back to top Go down
luvmydogs

luvmydogs

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the Crowman!   Greetings from the Crowman! EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 4:28 am

Welcome ZeeZee, I live in Hangleton so i''ll have to keep a look out for someone walking around with a crow on their shoulder Smile
Back to top Go down
Zeezee

Zeezee

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the Crowman!   Greetings from the Crowman! EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 4:44 am

Thx luvmydogs,

I'm over in the 5ways area now, and only out that way occasionally nowadays.
Back to top Go down
luvmydogs

luvmydogs

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the Crowman!   Greetings from the Crowman! EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 4:47 am

Oh right Laughing Good luck with your birds anyway,
Cas Smile
Back to top Go down
Foxx's Mum

Foxx's Mum

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the Crowman!   Greetings from the Crowman! EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 8:52 am

Hi ZeeZee, What a lovely story, thank goodness you were there to rescue Rameses!
I have 1 cat Fox, who you'll be pleased to know, has never caught a bird in life. I think he'd be much more likely to befriend him
Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Greetings from the Crowman!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sussex Pet Forum :: General :: Introductions-
Jump to:  
Create a forum on Forumotion | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com